Black Eyed Peas
- 2 cans black eyed peas (I just use a store brand, super cheap, and you can't tell the difference)
- 1 ham hock (this is pretty essential)
- 2 ounces pork jowl, diced - fry this up ahead of time, just like bacon. Save the drippings!
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 cups of broth (chicken or beef or veg, use your favorite)
- 1 tbs cajun spice
- 1 tsp (or more to taste) hot sauce (your favorite kind)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
Rinse and drain black eyed peas.
In jowl (or bacon) drippings, saute onion and bell pepper for five or so minutes over medium heat, or until onion is translucent. Add in garlic and cook for another minute. Add in black eyed peas and saute for 1 minute. Place ham hock in pot. Pour in 1 cup of broth, then add cajun spice. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer. Let beans simmer for 30 minutes (or longer). Add more both if necessary. Stir in hot sauce, diced jowl, and vinegar. You can serve it over rice, or as a side dish with your pork and greens and cornbread on New Year's Day.