Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







January 12, 2015

Simply Sides 15 - Black Eyed Peas

Every New Year's Day I make black-eyed peas, along with other dishes that are supposed to bring you good luck in the New year.  Call me superstitious, but I need all the good fortune I can get!  I realized I have never shared my black eyed pea recipe on this blog, and decided now is a good time to do so.  You don't have to just make this on New Year's, it's a great side dish all year long!!!

Black Eyed Peas

Ingredients:

  • 2 cans black eyed peas (I just use a store brand, super cheap, and you can't tell the difference)
  • 1 ham hock (this is pretty essential)
  • 2 ounces pork jowl, diced - fry this up ahead of time, just like bacon.  Save the drippings!
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-2 cups of broth (chicken or beef or veg, use your favorite)
  • 1 tbs cajun spice
  • 1 tsp (or more to taste) hot sauce (your favorite kind)
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar


Directions:
Rinse and drain black eyed peas.
In jowl (or bacon) drippings, saute onion and bell pepper for five or so minutes over medium heat, or until onion is translucent.  Add in garlic and cook for another minute. Add in black eyed peas and saute for 1 minute.  Place ham hock in pot.  Pour in 1 cup of broth, then add cajun spice.  Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer.  Let beans simmer for 30 minutes (or longer). Add more both if necessary.  Stir in hot sauce, diced jowl, and vinegar.  You can serve it over rice, or as a side dish with your pork and greens and cornbread on New Year's Day.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment