Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







September 13, 2021

Swiss Steak - Home Cooked #89

 We didn't swiss steak growing up because my dad didn't like it so my mom would only make it for herself once in awhile. However, I was searching for new ways to cook some cube steaks I had in the freezer, and stumbled upon this  recipe. It was so delicious, and so easy to make! It does take a bit of time for the cube steaks to cook and become tender, but the active cooking time is very minimal. It makes a great Sunday supper. You can find the original recipe HERE.


Swiss Steak

Ingredients:

  • 4 cube steaks
  • salt & pepper
  • olive oil
  • 1 onion, sliced thin
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 TBS tomato paste
  • 1 cup low sodium beef broth
  • 14 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 bay leaves
*I also used a little garlic and onion powders to season the meat with the salt & pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300. Season steaks with salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you prefer (Montreal steak seasoning was what I used the second time I made this). Heat a Dutch oven over medium and when hot, add oil and then brown the steaks - about 3 minutes on each side. Remove steaks from pot and put aside. Add onions and garlic to pot and sauté for 3 minutes. Add in tomato paste, cook 1 minute, then stir in broth, diced tomatoes, Worcestershire, and bay leaves. Add the steaks back in and place in the oven. Cook for 1 and a half hours. Serve with white rice or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment