Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







January 20, 2015

Salsa - Home Cooked Recipe 61

Who doesn't love salsa??? You can get it in any form of heat, from no spice at all to blow your head off hot.  It is fresh, low in fat and calories, and a great condiment for many things.  Plus add some chips and you have a great snack.  
I have never made my own salsa before.  There are so many great jarred varieties out there that I never really thought about it.  I have made my own pico de gallo before, but it is different than a salsa.  So now that I decided it was time, I looked up some recipes online, got inspired, and made my own.  You can adjust the heat level to your specific taste.  I made this version at a medium heat level.

Salsa

Ingredients:

  • 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 14.5 oz can diced petite tomatoes
  • 2 jalapenos, 1 deseeded
  • 3 garlic cloves (preferably minced)
  • 1/4 of a red onion, diced
  • 1 handful cilantro
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • dash of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
  • pinch of sugar

***All of these ingredients can be adjusted to taste

Directions:
In a food processor or mini chopper combine all ingredients (I had to do it in two batches in my mini food processor).  Pulse for a minute then let stay on for another 30 seconds.  Refrigerate for an hour to let flavors blend.  Serve with tortilla chips.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment