Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







January 5, 2015

Miso Cucumber Salad - Pinterest Pick #1

This is the first post of our new category for 2015, Pinterest Picks!  This year, I am going to make lots of recipes that I find while perusing Pinterest, and post them here, with what I like, don't like, adaptations to the recipe, and hints of things I would add or take away.  I am so excited about this category as if you are a regular reader, you know how much I love me some Pinterest.

I love Asian flavors, and am a big fan of Miso, which is a soybean paste.  There are several varieties of miso.  I get my miso at Trader Joe's, but I am fairly certain you can find it in the Asian section of your local grocery store now.  I also know you can get it at places like Whole Foods Market or Fresh Market. Miso basically adds a salty, umami flavor that is super savory.

I found the pin for this cucumber salad HERE.  I love a refreshing cucumber dish, whether it's a simple salad of tomato and cucumbers in a vinaigrette or a creamy, vinegary side of cucumbers with a mayo/vinegar dressing.  

The only thing I changed about the original RECIPE was to halve the amount of sesame oil.  I just think a tablespoon was too much, as sesame oil is very pungent (although delicious!) and too many calories for what could be halved.  

This was a delicious side dish, very refreshing and packed with flavor.  Try it as a side to you next Asian inspired meal, a quick snack, or a light lunch with say a cooked chicken breast.  Plus, you can use this as a dressing for ANY veggies or salad.  It doesn't just have to be cucumbers.  This was a Pinterest hit!  

Oh and if you want to follow me on Pinterest, click HERE!

Miso Cucumber Salad

Ingredients:

  • 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, sliced
  • 2 tbs miso (recipe calls for brown or white miso, I used yellow miso)
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tbs honey
  • 1 1/2 tbs rice vinegar
  • 1 tbs hot water (I used water from my hottest tap setting)
  • 1/2 tbs sesame oil
  • 1 tbs sesame seeds


Directions:
Mix all ingredients except cucumbers together.  Blend well.  Fold in cucumbers.  
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment