Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







August 30, 2011

Bonus Recipe! Tuna Kobachi

One of my favorite things to order at Fuji Sushi (my favorite sushi restaurant) is the appetizer Tuna Kobachi.  It comes in three sizes, and you can get a "deluxe" version, in which they add avocado and a fish roe.  The deluxe versions are $1.50 to $2  more than the regular version.  I am so in love with this dish, but it's super expensive to eat it out.  Especially in this bad economy.  So as with everything I love, I learned to make an almost identical, but much cheaper, version at home. 

Tuna Kobachi

2 (4 ounce) Ahi tuna steaks (I use a brand called Treasures From The Sea - they sell it at Sam's Club for $12.50 for 32 ounces - a GREAT price)
1tbs sesame oil
1 to 2 tsps of shichimi togarashi (a Japanese spice blend that you can buy at your local Asian market)
1 green onion, thinly sliced into small rounds
soy sauce for dipping
wasabi paste - easy to make your own, instructions in recipe
*** For deluxe version add a tsp tobiko (orange flying fish roe) and half of an avocado, thinly sliced

Defrost your tuna steaks if using Treasures From The Sea according to package instructions.  If you're using fresh tuna, you're ready to rock. 
Cube your tuna steaks in to small chunks.  Place in a bowl.  Toss gently with sesame oil and shichimi.  Sprinkle with green onion.  If you are making the deluxe version, sprinkle on tobiko and then gently top with avocado slices fanned out. 
This dish is even yummier if you dip it in soy sauce and wasabi.  To make your own wasabi paste, buy a small bottle of wasabi powder.  You can find this in your Asian foods aisle, we have a brand called Hokan in our area.  You mix the powder with small amounts of water until it forms the paste you see in sushi restaurants.  I believe it's equal parts powder to water.  Let it sit for a few minutes, then mix it in with your soy sauce.  Delicious... Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment