Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







December 31, 2014

Orange Honey Chicken - Home Cooked Recipe 60

While looking for new chicken recipe online recently, I came across a recipe for Orange Chicken that the Pioneer Woman posted.  You can find the original recipe HERE.  It looked so good, I had to try it.  It is really easy to make and super delicious.  The only thing I tweaked was that I added double the amount of honey (she used 1 tbs brown sugar, but I used 2 tbs of honey), and I omitted the vinegar because I didn't think the sauce needed it due to the acid in the OJ.  I even fresh squeezed my OJ since navel oranges are in season and I got 4 lbs for $1.99.  I squeezed 5 oranges worth, which was probably more than the 1/2 cup of OJ she calls for, but we like things really saucy around here.  Try it for a great weeknight meal!

Orange Honey Chicken
Sauce before thickened

Ingredients:

  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 tbs cornstarch
  • 1 cup OJ
  • 2 tbs honey
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tbs soy sauce
  • crushed red pepper to taste (I used about 1 tbs)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 inch ginger, minced
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup water
  • veg oil (for frying)



Chicken in egg white mixture
Directions:
Heat 2 inches oil in dutch oven until it reaches 350.
Whisk together 2 egg whites and 1 tbs cornstarch until frothy.  Place chicken cubes in mixture and let sit 5-10 minutes.  Meanwhile, make sauce.
In small non stick saucepan, combine OJ, honey, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and red pepper.  Heat on medium until bubbling.  Reduce heat to medium low.  Stir together 1 tsp cornstarch and 1/4 cup water.  Whisk in to sauce mixture.  Heat on medium low until sauce is thickened (about 5-10 minutes).
Thickened sauce
Fry chicken in oil until golden brown, about 5 minutes.  Drain on paper towels.  
Chicken Frying
Serve chicken in sauce, with white rice on the side if desired (cook 1 cup rice in 2 cups water for 30 minutes).
Enjoy!


Finished chicken




No comments:

Post a Comment