Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving Special - Classic Stuffing - Home Cooked Recipe 35

In honor of Thanksgiving week, I'd thought I'd post a recipe for a traditional Thanksgiving dish.  Honestly, my favorite parts of Thanksgiving dinner are the sides.  I like the holiday Turkey, and the desserts, but the sides are what I look forward to the most.  This year I volunteered to make stuffing for Thanksgiving dinner, just like my mom has always made it.  There is nothing fancy or complicated about this stuffing, it's merely a white bread stuffing with sausage.  But as simple as it is, it's also delicious.  Not to mention it's one of the rare occasions where I'll actually eat sausage.  There is much debate as to whether this dish should be called "stuffing" or "dressing".  From what I've researched, the consensus is that "stuffing" is more of a Northern term and "dressing" is more of a Southern term.  Also, some people think that if you stuff it inside the turkey it's stuffing, but if you don't, it's dressing.  We have always called it stuffing in my family, so that's probably what I'll continue to use.
Here it is, my recipe for Classic Thankgiving Stuffing!

Classic Thanksgiving Stuffing

Ingredients:
  • 2 loaves white bread, cubed (or torn in to pieces)
  • 1 lb ground (pork) sausage (My mom uses Jimmy Dean, so that's what I use as well, but feel free to use your personal favorite)
  • 2 stalks celery, finely chopped (some people prefer more celery, I just don't care for it that much so I use less, however you can use however much you like in this recipe, I've been advised that 6 stalks is average)
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 1/2 tsps ground sage
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 tbs butter
  • 1+ cup chicken broth (start with one cup, use more if stuffing appears too dry)
  • 2 eggs lightly beaten
Directions:
Grease a 9x13 pan (I used a cooking spray) and preheat the oven to 325.  Start by browning the sausage.  Cook over medium until evenly brown, then drain, reserving one tablespoon of the drippings.
Next add celery and onions to 1 tbs drippings and add butter.  Cook over medium-low heat until veggies are tender and onions are translucent. 
In a large bowl, mix together sausage, veggies, bread, sage, salt and pepper.  I usually add the spices to my veggies and mix well before mixing with bread and sausage, I just find this distributes the spices more evenly.
Pour eggs and broth into bread mixture.  Combine well, adding more broth if necessary.  *Stuffing should be moist, but not turned into mush.
Pour into the greased baking dish, and bake for 1 hour, or until top is golden brown and crunchy (crunchy parts are the best in my opinion!).

Ingredients



Torn Bread



Cooking Sausage



Browned Sausage Draining



Diced Onion



Diced Celery



Saueteeing Onion and Celery


Mixing Meat and Veggies

Combine Veggies and Sausage with Bread

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment