Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







September 29, 2011

Tortilla Soup - Home Cooked Recipe 13

Since I went to the Mexican restaurant last week I have been in the mood to make some Mexican at home.  I have never made tortilla soup, but found some recipes on the internet for versions of tortilla soup.  (I have also been inspired to make homemade enchilada sauce, and think that I may make it and post the recipe next week.)  I found that in making tortilla soup, it is healthy, spicy, filling, and full of flavor.  Here is my recipe!!!  ***Bonus, this is a crockpot recipe, so it's even more convenient!***

Melissa's Tortilla Soup

2 cans of chicken stock (14.5 ounces each)
1 cup water
1 can RoTel - tomatoes with green chiles (10 ounces)
1 can plain diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
1 bag frozen sweet corn (16 ounces - you can use canned if your prefer)
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried cumin
1/2 tsp dried ground coriander
dash of cayenne

1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp granulated garlic

Salt and pepper to taste
1 lb chicken breasts, cooked and diced
6-10 corn tortillas, cut in to strips and fried (or you can use tortilla chips)
*optional - Sour cream
*optional - Monterey jack cheese, shredded
*optional - Cilantro, chopped

Add all ingredients to slow cooker except tortillas, sour cream, cheese, and cilantro.  Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 4 to 6 hours.  *To fry tortilla chips, cut in to strips, fry in oil (I use a deep fryer) at 350 degrees for 15 to 30 seconds.  Drain on paper towels, and salt while still warm. 
To serve, ladle soup in to bowls.  Top with tortilla strips.  Garnish with the optional ingredients of sour cream, cheese, and cilantro.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment