Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







September 15, 2011

Spicy Salt And Pepper Shrimp - Home Cooked Recipe 12

I received a wonderful gift for my birthday.  My friends Candi and Gary got me a cookbook from the Williams-Sonoma line of books titled Food Made Fast.  The particular book they gifted me was the Asian one in the Food Made Fast line.  First of all, the book is my favorite color (blue), so that alone was a treat.  I always read cookbooks cover to cover, and this one was no exception.  It contains many recipes, and they are all done in 15, 20, or 30 minutes.  There are great pictures, and easy-to-follow recipes.  They have several other books in the Food Made Fast line that I hope to get one day. 
I had some shrimp on hand, so I decided to look for Asian recipes that had shrimp in them.  I didn't think I'd ever had salt and pepper shrimp, and the recipe for Spicy Salt And Pepper Shrimp sounded good.  This recipe comes directly from their cookbook. 

Spicy Salt-And-Pepper Shrimp

1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp five spice powder (I use Hokan, easily available in your local supermarket)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 tbs corn or peanut oil (I use vegetable oil, which I always have on hand)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 and 1/2 lbs of shrimp, peeled and deveined
2tbs ginger, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (I did not have a jalapeno so I used some shichimi)
2 tbs mirin

Make the spice mixture
Combine the sugar, five spice, salt, and pepper in a bowl.  Set aside.

Sear the shrimp
Warm a wok over high heat until very hot then pour in 2 tbs oil.
Meanwhile, spread the cornstarch on a plate.  Quickly pat the shrimp dry with paper towels and dip in the cornstarch, coating both sides and shaking off the excess.  Add the shrimp to the wok in a single layer and sear, turning once, just until opaque throughout, about 1 minute per side.  Transfer the shrimp to a bowl.

Finish the dish
Return the wok to high heat and pour in the remaining 2 Tbs. oil. Add the ginger, garlic and chili and stir-fry until fragrant, about 5 seconds. Add the spice mixture and mirin, quickly return the shrimp to the wok, and stir-fry until the shrimp are coated with the spice mixture and are heated through, 15 to 20 seconds. Transfer the shrimp to a platter and serve with the dipping sauce (see note above). Serves 4. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment