Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







May 22, 2013

Simply Sides 3 - Smashed Red Potatoes

Smashed red potatoes... Are you thinking mashed potatoes?  No, these beauties are a simple, delicious side dish that incorporates a twice cooked method for little round red potatoes.  They are soft and crisp at the same time, and are a great addition to a pork, beef, or chicken dinner.  I got the original recipe at Pioneer Woman - Crash Hot Potatoes and then doctored it up just a bit.  Btw, I love the Pioneer Woman, a food blogger turned famous who now has her own show on the Food Network (you can find out more about her show here Pioneer Woman on Food TV).  
In the spirit of my recent roasting obsession, these potatoes are both boiled and roasted.  They do take a bit of time to prepare, but are worth it.

Smashed Roasted Red Taters

Ingredients:
12 small to medium red potatoes, scrubbed
3 tbs olive oil

salt and pepper (to taste)
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp onion powder

*you can also add 1/2 tsp of cayenne

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450.
Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, and boil for 25-30 mins.  Remove potatoes one at a time from water with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain.

Spread one tbs of olive oil onto a sheet pan.  Mix 1 tbs of olive oil with remaining ingredients.  Gently toss potatoes in oil mix then place potatoes on pan.  Smash down (some people use a potato masher, I just used a heavy drinking glass and it worked perfectly).  Drizzle with remaining olive oil, then sprinkle with more salt and pepper.
Roast potatoes for 25 minutes, or until the perfect golden brown.  Outsides should be crisp, insides should be soft and fluffy.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment