Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







March 16, 2015

Galumpki - Home Cooked Recipe 65

My mom's side of the family is straight Polish, so I ate a lot of Polish dishes growing up such as kielbasa, pierogi, Gulasz (aka goulash), and Golabki (aka galumpki, aka stuffed cabbage).  I have already posted our families goulash recipe and you can find that HERE.  Cabbage is on sale this week as St. Patrick's day is tomorrow, so I thought I would grab an extra head and make some galumpki, otherwise known as stuffed cabbage or cabbage rolls.  My grandmother was always the one who made this dish when I was growing up.  Unfortunately her health is declining and rarely makes it anymore, so I thought I would give it a go.  The filling came out great, as did the sauce.  I think I should have cooked the cabbage longer.  But I don't even usually eat a lot of the cabbage so it was ok for my purpose.  But I recommend that if you make this recipe you peel the leaves from the head of cabbage before boiling them so they cook a little more thoroughly.


Galumpki

Ingredients:

  • 1 head of cabbage
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 2 cups of cooked rice
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 8 oz cans tomato sauce (store brand is fine, at my Aldi it's only 25 cents a can)
  • 1 10 oz can tomato soup (I use Campbells's condensed)
  • 1/3 cup ketchup (Heinz is my go to)
  • smoked paprika
  • garlic powder
  • onion powder
  • salt and pepper


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.
-I use a rice cooker to cook my rice while I am boiling the cabbage-
Place head of cabbage in a pot and cover with 1 inch of cold water.  Bring to a boil, turn heat off, let sit at least 20 minutes until leaves become pliable.  Drain and let cool enough to handle.
Brown ground beef, with onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Add a teaspoon each of paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder.  Stir well.  
Mix together tomato soup, tomato sauce, and ketchup.  Season with pepper and a dash of salt.  
Add 2 tablespoons of sauce to meat.  Mix in cooked rice.  Combine well.
Layer a thin layer of the sauce on the bottom of a baking dish.
Take a cabbage leaf and spoon a large spoonful of meat and rice mixture into the leaf.  Fold the leaf around the meat.  Place stuffed cabbage on top of sauce in baking dish.  Repeat until meat mixture is gone. Cover cabbage rolls with remaining sauce.  Bake 30-45 minutes.
Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment