Do NOT be discouraged by the name of this dish! It is nothing morbid, in fact it is a flavorful & cheesy potato side dish that you will want to eat often. Funeral potatoes are also called hashbrown casserole, cheesy hashbrown casserole, and party potatoes so if you feel weird calling them funeral potatoes, use one of the monikers. The best part of this dish is that it hits so many cravings people have. Cheesy, salty, crunchy, creamy... And very comforting! This is also an extremely easy dish to make, so try it soon!
- 1 bag of fresh shredded potatoes (I use Simply Potatoes, plain hashbrowns - find them in the refrigerated section of the grocery store, by the eggs etc). **You can also use frozen, you may need to bake the casserole for longer.
- 2 cups sour cream (1 16oz container should be fine, I use Breakstone's)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (I use Campbell's)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 package shredded cheddar (or grate a block and use 2 cups)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups potato chips, crushed
- 2 tbs butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. In a bowl, mix together sour cream, cream of chicken soup, onion, salt & pepper, and shredded cheese. Fold in potatoes. Combine butter and crushed chips in a separate bowl. Pour sour cream/potato mixture into 9x13 pan. Top with chip mixture. Bake for 30-45 minutes (closer to an hour if using frozen hashbrowns). Enjoy!