Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







February 11, 2014

Perfect Pulled Pork - Crock*Pot Cafe 1

Our new category for 2014 is Crock*Pot Cafe(recipes you can make in the slow cookers).  Slow cookers were popular decades ago, and are making a fierce comeback, especially with so many households being incredibly busy.  Set it and forget it, is a great way to make sure you come home to a healthy, delicious meal, without a lot of work to make the meal happen.  There are a lot of great recipes out there for main dishes, side dishes, desserts, breakfast items, and party food.  This year (2014) we are going to try some great new slow cooker recipes that are easy and convenient.  So make sure you stay tuned to the blog all year long.
I have 2 Crock*Pots, one is a 7 quart model in black that has 3 settings: high, low, and warm.  I love that my newest model has that warming setting!  Great for parties.  I just bought it (at a great deal!) a few months ago, and have used it a couple dozen times already, usually at least once or twice a week.  My second model is about 10 years old, it is only 2 quarts, but I got it as a present when I first moved out on my own and was perfect for when I was single, and is still perfect for party food or desserts.
Our first Crock*Pot recipe is for pulled pork.  Slow cookers make this dish super easy, keep the pork super moist, and of course, delicious.  Great for a BBQ or just an average weeknight dinner, you will want to make this again and again.  

Perfect Pulled Pork

Ingredients:
3.5 lb boston butt roast (boneless or bone-in is fine, mine had a bone and it pulled out super easy when done)
2 tbs cajun seasoning
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs onion powder
1 tbs cayenne

1 tsp cumin
salt an pepper
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 onions, thickly sliced
chicken broth (2-4 cups)


Directions:
Place onions in bottom of slow cooker.  Add a cup of broth.  Mix together all spices and brown sugar.  Rub boston butt thoroughly with spice mixture.  Place meat on top of  onions in slow cooker. Pour 1 cup of chicken broth over meat. Cook on high for 3 hours, then turn to low for another 6 hours.  Or keep on high the whole time (about 8 hours).  Add more broth halfway through cooking if necessary.  
Remove from slow cooker and pull apart with 2 forks (remove bone if there is one).  Return shredded pork to slow cooker and mix in with broth and onions.  Serve by itself, or on rolls or tortillas.  Use your favorite BBQ sauce to top.  I like the vinegar based sauces with pork, but use your own favorite!  Meat can be used as sandwich filling, taco filling, and is great alone.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment