Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







October 24, 2011

Black Beans and Rice - Home Cooked Recipe 17

In becoming more adventurous in my eating, I decided to make something that I've never made before.  Black beans.  In the past few months I've had them at a party and a restaurant and thought they were absolutely delicious.  Not much of a bean eater the majority of my life, it was something new for me.  I thought I would try my hand at making my own.  They came out well.  They were not as delicious as I've had at restaurants or made by other people, but it was a good recipe that was filling and full of protein. 

Black Beans (and Rice)

16 ounces dried black beans
8 cups water
1/4 lb bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, mixed
dash of cayenne
2 bay leaves
1 packet of Sazon
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 package of yellow rice

Soak black beans for at least 6 hours in water to cover.  Drain in colander.
Cook bacon over medium heat until cripsy.  Remove bacon pieces, leaving bacon drippings in pan.  Saute onion and garlic together until translucent and fragrant.  Add beans and water.  Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 hour, covered.  Add spices, stir well, and cook for 1 more hour, uncovered.  Stir in bacon.
Prepare yellow rice according to package directions.
Serve black beans over yellow rice.  

***You can also add peppers when you add the onion and garlic (either bell or spicy).  I like to serve my beans and rice with a side of fresh salsa.  You can serve this is as a side or a main dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment