Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







December 27, 2011

Stuffed Peppers - Home Cooked Recipe 24

In ending the year, I wanted to post an easy, comfort food type recipe.  I thought back to my childhood, and came up with my stuffed pepper recipe.
When I was a kid my mom would make stuffed peppers with white rice, tomato sauce, and ground beef.  In my twenties, a friend evolved them for me by adding cheese.  My adaptation uses yellow rice instead of white, and uses cheddar both in the filling and on top.  These are easiest when you use rice left over from a previous meal because then you can skip the cooking the rice that day.

Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients
4 bell peppers, tops cut off and seeds removed (any color works, I used green)
1/2 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup yellow rice, cooked
3/4 cup tomato sauce (I use Hunts)
1 cup shredded cheddar (but you could use your favorite melting cheese)
Salt and pepper
dash of cayenne
dash of garlic powder
***There are also optional items you could add to the filling such as finely chopped bell pepper, mushrooms, shredded carrots - anything that suits your tastes!

Directions
Preheat oven to 350.  Brown ground beef and onion.  Drain.  Mix with spices, tomato sauce, rice, and 1/2 cup of cheese.  Stuff beef filling in to peppers.  Top with remaining cheddar.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Let cool slightly before serving.
***I serve mine with Crystal hot sauce and a side of sour cream
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment