Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







December 2, 2011

Food Truck Adventures 9 - Silver Bistro

It's been awhile since I wrote about my food truck adventures.  That's because I hadn't visited any food trucks since my adventure to the Apopka Food Truck Round Up.  But I had been meaning to visit the new food truck stop that had opened up in Winter Park, called the Winter Park Street Food Truck Stop.  Starting on November 1, 2011, Dane Bellows opened up 2 acres for up to 15 food trucks.  The lot is just north of Lee Road on 17-92 in Winter Park.  The food trucks sign leases on a month-to-month basis, and are able to be at that spot whenever they want, 24 hours a day.  There are customer restrooms and seating in this spot.  It is right near Tom & Jerry's, a local bar, who even provides liquor during the weekly International Food Truck Rally that takes place every Thursday night from 5-10pm in this permanent food truck zone.
I thought this was a phenomenal idea!  I cannot think of another place where you're almost guaranteed to have food trucks at any given time.  This also gives the food trucks the ability to serve customers whenever it is convenient for them, and they don't have to worry about zoning issues or attending other events to reach their customers.
While I still want to attend one of the weekly evening rallys, I stopped by the Winter Park Street Food Truck Stop during lunch on Tuesday November 22, 2011.  I had seen on Twitter that a couple of food trucks would be there, and thought I would see if there were any new trucks there that I hadn't tried yet.  I got there about 1:30pm, and right away saw the Silver Bistro, a truck I had never eaten at before.  I checked out their menu, and decided to give them a shot.
I'm glad I did!!!  Their menu appealed to me, especially the Pressed Cheesesteak, which is what I ordered.  The sandwich was thin strips of rib-eye beef with provolone, onions, and peppers on a specialty roll, served with a side of au jus and 2 pepperoncinis.  It was $8, and I also ordered a soda for $1.
The sandwich was delicious!!!  Seriously, the beef was so moist and tender that it didn't necessarily need the au jus (although I found it a tasty dipping sauce).  The onions and peppers were cooked just right, and the roll (because it was pressed) was toasty, crunchy, and had a great bread flavor.  There was a great ratio of meat to bread to onions and peppers.  I loved the touch of them adding the pepperoncinis on the side, because I happen to love these mildly spicy, vinegary peppers.  The only thing I would have liked more of was the cheese.  I love provolone, and I don't think more cheese can hurt anything.
A bonus to this adventure was that I got to meet Layton, who manages the food truck.  He was the one who took my order and was a SUPER friendly, super cool dude.  We got the chance to chat about food truck life, and I got to tell him about my food blog while I waited (not long!) for my sandwich.  He was telling me they had just attended their first dailycity.com Food Truck Bazaar the past Sunday (11/20/11), and I recommended they try to apply to be a part of the Apopka Food Truck Round Up.  I found out from Layton that Silver Bistro should be at the WPSFTS for lunch most days. 
I also met, briefly, Jay Brabbs, one of the owners of the truck.  He was the one who made my sandwich, and did a great job at that.
They also had some other great menu items, that I didn't get to try, but hope to sample soon.  On the regular menu they have a dish called Miami Seoul that is mojo seasoned pork, ham, gruyere, and kichi on a cuban roll with key lime aioli, also $8.  The Ukulele, a roast chicken and ham sanwich topped with caramelized pineapple, crispy onions, and polynesian sauce for $7 is also on their menu.  Sold out that day was a dish they call Kickin' Chicken Curry, which is roast chicken, cranberries, nuts, and curry served on cabbage.
They also had a Specials menu that had a Meatball Hoagie w/Provolone for $5, an All-Beef Hot Dog for $2, Beef Sliders which were 2 for $5, or you could get 1/2 a Miami (or 1/2 Cheesesteak) with chips and a soda for $6.  That was a nicely priced special.  They also have tater tots and chips which you can order as a side to your meal,   Plus drinks like soda, water, or juice.
My experience at the Silver Bistro was fantastic.  I got great quality food, cooked quickly and well, at a decent price, made and served by friendly guys.  You can't beat that for a weekday lunch.
They're slogan is Bistro Food, Truck Attitude... Too cute!  If you want more info about the Silver Bistro, check out their website at silverbistro.com.  You can find them on Facebook under Silver Bistro, and on Twitter @SilverBistro.  I highly recommend you check them out.  They will be at the Oviedo Food Truck Bazaar on 12/11/11 and you can probably still find them at the Winter Park Street Food Truck Stop. 
I have to say, I'm excited to go back both to the WPSFTS and just to visit Silver Bistro wherever they may be.
If you want more info about the Winter Park Street Food Truck Stop, check out the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Winter-Park-Food-Truck-Stop/109472005830628?sk=info.  They have the list of trucks that will be there and contact information in case you want to find out more from an actual human. 

No comments:

Post a Comment