Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







November 14, 2011

Shrimp Newburg - Home Cooked Recipe 20

I am ALWAYS looking for new shrimp recipes.  We adore shellfish in our household, especially shrimp.  I feel like I'm in Forrest Gump when I start to describe all the different shrimp dishes I enjoy.  Recently I had been looking for a more decadent dish that involved shrimp.  I've made it scampi-style, and in alfredo sauces, but I was looking for something that I had never had before.  I stumbled across a recipe for Shrimp Newburg, and it sounded exactly like what I was looking for.  A rich, creamy dish that I haven't had before that includes shrimp. 
I have to make the disclaimer that this dish is very full-bodied and heavy.  You do not want to eat this before you are doing something that requires you to be very active.  But, it is extremely delicious and if you are in the mood for a creamy shrimp dish, this is what you want to make.

Shrimp Newburg

4 tbs butter
2.5 tbs flour
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
dash of nutmeg
dash of cayenne
dash of smoked paprika
salt and pepper
3 tbs sherry
2 cups cream (or half-n-half)
1 lb shrimp (peeled and deveined)
***I also recommend having a lemon on hand, cut in to wedges, because it can help cut the richness of the dish -  completely optional

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.  Whisk in flour and salt, pepper, cayenne, nutmeg, and paprika.  Cook for at least 1 minute so the flour taste cooks out.  Whisk in sherry, then slowly whisk in cream.  Cooke for approximately 10 minutes, until the sauce is smooth and thick.  Pour a third of the sauce in to the egg yolks, constantly stirring. Then add yolk mixture in to sauce still in pan. (This is called tempering, and we do it so that the eggs don't scramble and your sauce stays smooth.)  Add the shrimp in to the sauce and heat through. 
You can serve this over rice or pasta, or even puff pastry shells.  I served mine over rice.  As mentioned earlier, I also think lemon wedges are a great addition.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment