Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







December 28, 2015

Simply Sides 21 - Brussel Sprouts Gratin

I have been very adventurous with food in my 30's so far.  We never had brussel sprouts growing up in my parent's house.  So I was 34 before I even tried them!  I like them a lot, and am not sure what all the fuss is about.  They're just mini cabbages.  And I like cabbage!  Gruyere cheese was on sale this week at my local Aldi, as were brussel sprouts.  So I picked up both and got to work making this AMAZING side dish.  Crunchy, creamy, and just plain delish!  You must try this! Find the original recipe HERE.


Brussel Sprout Gratin

Ingredients:

  • 16 oz brussel sprouts, trimmed
  • salt and pepper
  • olive oil
  • 1 tbs butter
  • 1 tbs flour
  • 3/4 cup milk (I used 2%)
  • 2 oz grated Gruyere (use white cheddar if Gruyere is not available or too pricey)
  • a couple sprinkles of grated parmesan


Directions:
Preheat oven to 400.
Toss brussel sprouts with a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Roast for 20 minutes.  Stir and then cook another 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt butter in pan.  Stir in flour and cook for 3-4 minutes until flour taste is cooked out.  Stir in milk, and a bit more salt and pepper.  Let thicken for a minute.  Stir in half the Gruyere and a sprinkle of parmesan.  Pour over top of brussel spouts.  Sprinkle remaining Gruyere and parmesan over top. Bake another ten minutes until brown and bubbly.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment