Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







June 11, 2014

Tuna Noodle Casserole - Home Cooked Recipe 49

What is more comforting then a creamy pasta casserole?  Not too much!  This week's recipe is all about comfort, and making a classic dish your own.  My girlfriend and I were talking about how much we love tuna noodle casserole while lounging by the pool on Saturday.  She was talking about how much she adores her mom's, and I told her how I make mine.  I was thinking, "what an easy dinner, let me make that Sunday night and blog about it this week"!  I am going to give you lots of ways you can alter the recipe to suit your own tastes.  A classic with options?  Sounds good to me!

Tuna Noodle Casserole

Ingredients:
2 5oz cans of tuna (I use solid white albacore, use your favorite OR you can use chicken if you don't like tuna)
1/2 bag (8oz) frozen peas (you can use ANY frozen veggie you like, mixed veg, carrots, broccoli, etc)
1/2 bag (6-8oz) no-yolk egg noodles
2 cans (10 3/4 oz each) cream of mushroom soup (I use cream of celery due to a mushroom disliker in my househould, but you can use any "cream of" soup, and you can also use cheese soups)
2 cans of milk (use your soup cans once empty)
2 tbs sour cream (this is optional, but I think it makes a huge difference in flavor and creaminess)
salt and pepper to taste (other fun spices you can use: paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne)
Topping:

1 cup potato chips, crushed OR 3/4 cup breadcrumbs mixed with 1 tbs olive oil OR 1 cup croutons, crushed OR 1/2 sleeve butter crackers (such as Ritz), crushed - This time, I used garlic cheese croutons
Cooking spray
***Additional add-ins: sauteed onions, a handful of grated cheese (mozzarella or cheddar work well)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.
Cook egg noodles according to package directions, drain.
grease casserole dish (I love my white round Corningware, but use whatever you have)
Mix together both cans of soup and both cans of milk.  Whisk in sour cream.  Add spices and combine well.  Drain tuna, flake with a fork, and fold into soup mixture.  Fold in frozen veggies, then stir in cooked noodles.  Top with your choice of topping.  Spray lightly with cooking spray.  Bake for 30-40 mins.  Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment