Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







August 12, 2013

Baked Chimis - Home Cooked Recipe 39

I LOVE Mexican food.  LOVE it!  Salsa, corn tortillas, guacamole... These are a few of my favorite things.  Freshly made salsa with a bit of a kick can brighten any day.  Enchiladas make me smile, quesadillas are a great quick snack, and tacos make for a fun dinner.
I was scanning through Pinterest (big surprise, right?!?) and I came across some interesting recipes for chimichangas.  I usually don't like to go through the hassle of deep frying, so when I saw that some of the recipes were for baking I immediately pinned a couple.

Talk about easy! Making these baked chimichangas does not take a lot of time, and the ingredient list is fairly simple.  Plus, they are easy to customize, and you can use just about any filling you prefer.  I looked for recipes using ground beef (always need new ground beef ideas!), but you could fill yours with chicken, pork, steak, or veggie items.  Really, anything you want!  You could probably even make dessert ones!
Here is the original recipe I used as my basis:  
k99 Recipe Rescue - Baked Beef Chimichangas
Then you'll be able to see from reading my recipe how I customized them for my own ingredients/needs.  I will also give you some ideas for additional fillings I think would be yummy.


Melissa's Baked Chimis
Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef (shredded chicken, pulled pork, roasted veggies, mixed cheeses also make good fillings)
4 large burrito-size flour tortillas
4oz shredded cheddar
2 10oz cans of enchilada sauce (I use Old El Paso, I used both their mild red and their mild green chile, but you could use their spicier versions, only all of one kind, or your other favorite sauce - also, you can omit the sauce and use taco seasoning to flavor the meat)
1 small onion, diced

***Toppings (optional) - lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, diced onion, lime

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425.  Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray (I put foil down first then spray).
Brown up ground beef and onion (drain if necessary). Let cool for 5 minutes or so.

Heat tortillas in microwave for 30 seconds (this is to soften them and make them more pliable and easy to work with).
Mix 1/2 of the shredded cheese and 1 can of enchilada sauce in to the beef and onions.  

***If you want to try other fillings, here are some of my suggestions.  1) shredded chicken with green chile enchilada sauce, 2) pulled pork with spicy red enchilada sauce, and 3) roasted veggies with monterey jack cheese and taco seasoning***
Spoon 1/4 of the beef mixture on to a torilla.  Fold tortilla; bring the 2 longest sides in to the middle, then fold each end in toward the middle.  Place seam side down on to baking sheet.
Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Spray tops of chimis with cooking spray, then bake for 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes, pour other can of enchilada sauce over chimis, and top with remaining cheddar.  Bake 5 more minutes.  Remove from oven.

Top with your favorite toppings.





Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment