Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







January 19, 2012

Meatloaf - Home Cooked Recipe 26

I've been on a comfort food kick lately.  Stuffed peppers, chili, and now we're up to meatloaf.  This recipe is inspired by two sources.  One is Tyler Florence's meatloaf with tomato relish (I've tweaked the relish, and changed up the meats).  The other is my mom, who always made great meatloaf, and the leftovers always made tasty sandwiches.

Melissa's Meatloaf

Ingredients:
Relish -
12 ounces ketchup
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
1 tbs dried parsely
salt and pepper

Meatloaf -
1 lb ground beef
3 slices white bread, torn
1/4-1/2 cup milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Make the relish first.  Saute garlic and onions in a tablespoon of olive oil for about 5 minutes.  Add in tomatoes, bay leaf, and salt and pepper (to taste).  Cook 3 minutes, then stir in ketchup and Worcestershire.  Sprinkle in parsley, let simmer 5 minutes, then take off heat and let cool.
While making the relish, soak bread in milk.
When relish is cool, mix together bread/milk, ground beef, and 1 cup of the tomato relish.
Form into loaf and place on baking rack on backing sheet, or just a normal loaf pan. 
Bake at 350 for 30 mins, then top with remaining tomato relish and bake for 30 more minutes.  Let cool before serving.  Enjoy!!!
***I served mine with some roasted potatoes, pictured

No comments:

Post a Comment