Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







November 23, 2011

Salmon Cakes - Home Cooked Recipe 21

When I was growing up, my mom would use canned salmon occasionally to make us salmon cakes for dinner.  I always liked them, in fact, they remind me of crabcakes (although these have a salmon flavor of course), something I also love.  Recently I decided that I would make them as an easy dinner.  Here is the recipe I used.

Salmon Cakes

2 cans salmon
10 saltines, crushed into crumbs
1/2 small onion, grated finely
1 tsp Old Bay Garlic & Herb seasoning
black pepper to taste
dash of hot sauce (I like Louisiana Crystal)
1-2 tbs mayonnaise (I always use Helman's)
breadcrumbs for dredging
oil for frying

Flake canned salmon into mixing bowl.  Grate in onion, add in Old Bay, black pepper, and hot sauce.  Mix well.  Add in crackers and at least 1 tbs mayo.  Mix until well combine, adding another tbs of mayo if necessary.  Form into four patties.  Dredge in bread crumbs.  Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes (you can place them in an airtight container and leave refrigerated for 24 hours if you want to make them ahead). 
Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a skillet at medium heat.  Fry patties until golden brown on one side, flip over, and cook on other side til golden brown as well.  Should take about 3-4 minutes per side.  Serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment