Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







March 7, 2016

Steamed Shrimp - Home Cooked Recipe #71

Man oh man do I love me some shellfish! Shrimp, scallops, crab, lobster... Yum! Shrimp has been very reasonably priced lately, and is a high protein, low calorie delight!  I had never steamed my own.  I usually roast or grill it.  But I saw a recipe for steamed shrimp with Old Bay and realized it was so easy and quick that I should be able to do it with no problem!  Here's how to make your own.


Steamed Shrimp

Ingredients:

  • 12 oz RAW shrimp, shell on (try to get "easy peel" so it's not a lot of work to remove after cooking)
  • 2 tbs Old Bay seasoning (I used low sodium)
  • 12 oz beer (use your fav, I used bud light because that's what we had - you can also omit beer and just use all water)
  • 3 cups water

***optional for dipping: 4tbs melted butter (I seasoned mine with a little more Old Bay) or cocktail sauce (healthier option and super easy: ketchup, horseradish, dash of Worcestershire!)

Directions:
Place beer and water in a pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer.  Season shrimp with Old Bay.  Place in a mesh metal strainer.  Place on pot, making sure shrimp doesn't touch water.  Place lid on pot.  Steam for 5 minutes, or until shrimp is cooked through.  Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment