Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







October 17, 2011

Lasagna - Home Cooked Recipe 16

Lasagna is a family favorite in many households, including mine.  My recipe is somewhat eclectic, because I make my own sauce for the filling but use jarred sauce for the top and bottom.  This is a lasagna recipe that is not runny (I hate when sauce is watery!), and full of yummy cheese.  I have recently started using the oven-ready lasagna noodles, because it cuts down on the prep time significantly. 

Lasagna

12 oven-ready lasagna noodles
olive oil
1 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 onion, diced
1 lb ground beef
3 cups store-bought sauce (I use Ragu Traditional)
2 lbs shredded mozzarella
1 egg
16 ounces ricotta (or 15 ounces, depending on which size your store sells)
1 cup Parmesan, grated
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Step 1 is to make your sauce.  Drizzle olive oil in a sauce pot to lightly coat the bottom.  Heat over medium and add half your onions.  Cook for 5 minutes or until translucent.  Add in your garlic and cook for 5 more minutes.  Add some salt and pepper.  Then add your canned tomatoes and let simmer on low until you are ready to add your beef.
Step 2 is to brown your ground beef over medium heat.  Add the rest of your onions after the first 3 minutes and let cook with the beef until there is no pink in the beef left.  Season with salt and pepper.  When your beef has finished browning, drain and add to your tomato sauce.  Turn off heat and let sauce meld flavors until you are ready to assemble your lasagna.
Step 3.  Mix your ricotta with the egg.  Stir in 1/2 a cup of Parmesan.  Add salt and pepper to taste. 
Prepare your baking dish.  I use a 9x13 glass dish.  Put 1 cup of your store-bought sauce on the bottom of the pan and spread til bottom is evenly coated.  Lay down 4 of your lasagna noodles on top of the sauce.  Spread half of your ricotta on top of the noodles.  Sprinkle 1/2 a lb of mozzarella over ricotta.  Top with 1/2 of your homemade meat sauce.  Add another layer of noodles, ricotta, mozzarella, and meat sauce.  Cover with last 4 noodles.  Spread remaining store-bought sauce on top.  Sprinkle with 1 lb of mozzarella and then sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.  Bake for one hour.  Let cool slightly before serving.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment