Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







September 6, 2011

French Onion Soup - Home Cooked Recipe 11

I wanted to try a recipe last week that was more of a classic recipe.  While the weather is still quite warm here in Orlando, I was dreaming about winter and the cool weather it will bring.  I thought of things that were comfort food.  And I came up with the idea to make french onion soup!

French Onion Soup

6 large red onions, sliced
4 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp sugar
3 garlic cloves, minced (I use my garlic press)
6 cups of beef stock (with this recipe, I actually used 4 cups beef stock and 2 cups chicken stock - yum!)
1/2 cup vermouth (or you can use sherry)
bay leaf
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt & pepper
6 slices toasted french bread (using croutons can also be fun!)
1 cup Gruyere, grated (you can also use Swiss cheese, if you're short on cash)

Saute the onions in the olive oil on medium heat until they become brown and caramelized (but not burned!).  This should take 35 to 45 minutes.  About 10 minutes in to the process, add the sugar to help with the caramelization.  Add the garlic and saute for a minute.  Add your vermouth (or sherry), cook for two minutes, then add the stock.  This is also when you add your bay leaf, thyme, and salt & pepper to taste.
Partially cover and let soup simmer for at least 30 minutes.  Discard the bay leaf.
To serve, spoon in to oven-proof bowls.  Cover with toasted french bread and sprinkle with cheese.  Broil on low for approximately 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment