Welcome to my food blog! I am your average home cook and I want to share my love of food with the world. I'll divulge my recipes as often as possible. Feel free to comment or to email me at nodessertpodcast@gmail.com! Don' forget to come by often for new posts... I love having you visit me!







June 19, 2017

Restaurant Style Sweet and Sour Chicken - Home Cooked Recipe #79

When I was a kid, the only thing I would order from Chinese restaurants was sweet and sour chicken.  As I grew up, I branched out to ordering many other dishes, but I will always have a special place in my heart for that dish.  Recently I was trying to find a recipe online for restaurant style sweet and sour chicken.  I found one that comes pretty close, and the sauce tasted JUST like a restaurant version. THIS is the sauce I used.  

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Ingredients:
<SAUCE>

  • ¼ cup corn starch
  • ¼ cup water
  • 6 ounces pineapple juice
  • 6 ounces water
  • ½ cup brown sugar, packed
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • ¾ cups apple cider vinegar
  • ½ cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce

<CHICKEN>

  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbs oil
  • 2 tbs cornstarch
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 egg 
  • 1 1/2 cups water


Directions:
Combine flour, baking soda, oil, 2 tbs cornstarch, salt, pepper, and egg. Add 1 1/2 cups water gradually to make a thick batter. Stir to blend thoroughly. Add chicken pieces, and stir until chicken is well coated. Deep fry for 10-12 minutes in oil at 350 until golden brown and cooked through. Drain well on paper towels once chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, combine 1/4 cup cornstarch and 1/4 cup water and set aside.  Combine pineapple juice, water, brown sugar, regular sugar, vinegar, ketchup, and soy sauce in a sauce pot and cook over medium high til mixture comes to a boil. Cook for an additional minute, then add cornstarch/water mixture and remove from heat.
Coat chicken in sauce.  Serve over white rice. NOTE: I also sauteed some bell pepper, pineapple chunks, and onion; just like a restaurant would.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment